ABJ WindVue© UK for Wind Turbine Inspections with Drones
Drones are an effective way to inspect and manage Wind Turbines in the UK
We inspect up to 15 cm deep into a wind turbine blade with Proprietary Thermal Technology
Proprietary Drone and Asset Management Technology
- Higher-resolution visual drone inspections than ground-based inspections
- Greatly reduce man hours and costs by automating inspections
- Safely assess the condition and orientation of all components of wind turbines
- Wind farm remains functional during inspection
- Increase efficiency due to data accuracy and reliability, live streaming and zoom/thermal/4k capabilities
- Drones enable collecting the needed data for identifying and mitigating risks in power distribution in advance
- 30 – 50% cost and timing saving when doing a drone wind turbine inspection
- Safety of personnel – no need for them to ascend to height
- Real-time images and video feed can be transmitted to ground control station
- Thermal and LIDAR can be used to aid in inspecting and monitoring wind turbine blades and the general structure
ABJ WindVue© UK: Proprietary Technology for Drone Wind Turbine Blade Inspections
The ABJ WindVue© UK method deploys a sophisticated, weatherproof Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS/drone) to inspect the wind turbine in the UK. The drone carries a complex package of instruments including an ultra-high resolution, 60MB camera and a bespoke, highly specialised infrared camera.
The ABJ WindVue© UK system utilises the fact that the internal structure of a wind turbine blade heats and cools at different rates. By measuring these small differences using a highly sophisticated, specially calibrated infrared camera on our special drones, we can gather this information rapidly, needing the turbine to be stopped for only minutes instead of hours. We then upload the gathered data to our central processing facilities where the information is monitored, manipulated and interpreted. The result is a detailed, easy to understand report that includes an x-ray like image of the blade.
Our experienced pilots are re-trained every 2 years in Germany so that their standards are maintained with drone wind turbine inspections. Using our process allows for a non-contact wind turbine blade inspection with the help of thermographic images. Visually, no errors can be detected in the wind turbine blade from the naked eye. But, a thermal imaging camera reveals the internal structure of an intact blade which shows crucial details about the blades during the inspection process.
ABJ Drones has effective thermal imaging and LiDAR techniques, and proprietary air frames to capture engineering-grade levels of accuracy for use in detailed point clouds and analytics for generations. Including, geo tagging to localize specific area of inspection (AOI) and a proprietary back end processing solution to enable companies with instant sourcing and identification.
ABJ’s Proprietary Technology
- Inspect up to 15 cm deep into a wind turbine blade
- Using thermal energy from wind friction to allow for high resolution thermography (patent protected)
- Visualizing layers of lamination and beam structure inside the wind turbine blade for in-depth inspection of blade structure
- Only available and proven technology for enhanced wind turbine blade inspection
- Completely patent protected by Rolawind GMB
ABJ’s Proprietary Drone
- The drone used for inspection has triple modular redundancy and diagnostic algorithms that match the sensor data of the three GNSS units.
- Additional analytical redundancies result in a total of six reliable redundancy units.
- The additional use of a D-RTK-GNSS system makes the drone immune to magnetic interference and enables the drone to be accurate to the nearest centimetre.
- The drone can be controlled and landed even with a failure of up to two propellers or even 2 batteries.
- High wind speeds (15 m/s to 20m/s)
- Automation (including distance tracking and collision avoidance)
- Higher safety and reliability in the field (rain-proof, modular, upgradable)
ABJ RFID Asset Management
ABJ Drones systems will…
- Decrease data collection time
- Reduce or eliminate human data entry errors Improve asset inventory quality
- Diminish cycle time
- Reduce repeated site visits
- Improve accuracy of assets
- Customizable API with 98 % suitability with established CRM or depository
This includes assets in warehouses, picked up by contractors, in technicians’ trucks, deployed at sites, decommissioned, identify assets for resale and reduce capital assets