ABJ WindVue©: A Proprietary Technology for Drone Wind Turbine Blade Inspections
Reduce Risk, Avoid Downtime and Increase Revenue
Regular preventative maintenance can significantly extend the viable lifespan of turbines and ensure that they output maximum power in all conditions. Inspecting them presents a challenge, however, as they are tall structures and the internal structure of the blades can develop structural problems that may be invisible from the outside.
To overcome this challenge the ABJ WindVue© system utilizes the fact that the internal structure of a wind turbine blade heats and cools at different rates. By measuring these small differences using a highly sophisticated, specially calibrated infrared camera on our special drones, we can gather this information rapidly, needing the turbine to be stopped for only minutes instead of hours.
Drone inspection solutions with thermal imaging for onshore and offshore wind farms
We inspect up to 15cm deep into a wind turbine blade, and see issues as small as 4mm
Proprietary Drone and Asset Management Technology to Provide Reliable Results & Increase Revenue
An Innovative Team and Highly Experienced Drone Pilots Ready to Support You Globally
Scroll Left or Right
Benefits of Wind Turbine Inspections with ABJ Drones
Higher-resolution visual inspections with drones compared to ground-based inspections
Greatly reduce man hours and costs by automating inspections
Safely assess the condition and orientation of all components of wind turbines
Onshore and offshore wind farm remains functional during inspection
Increase efficiency due to data accuracy and reliability, live streaming and zoom/thermal/4k capabilities
Drones collect the needed data for identifying and mitigating risks in power distribution in advance
Save 30 – 50% of cost and time when doing a drone wind turbine inspection
Safety of personnel – no need for them to ascend to height
Real-time images and video feed can be transmitted to ground control station
Thermal and LIDAR can be used to aid in inspecting and monitoring wind turbine blades and the general structure
Our experienced drone pilots are re-trained every 2 years in Germany so that their standards are maintained with drone wind turbine inspections. Using our process allows for a non-contact wind turbine blade inspection with the help of thermographic images. We are able to inspect both onshore and offshore wind farms. When looking at a wind turbine visually, no errors or problems can be detected in the turbine blade from the naked eye. But, a thermal imaging camera reveals the internal structure of an intact blade which shows crucial details about the blades during the inspection process. ABJ Drones has effective thermal imaging and LiDAR techniques, and proprietary air frames to capture engineering-grade levels of accuracy for use in detailed point clouds and analytics for generations. Including, geo tagging to localize specific area of inspection (AOI) and a proprietary back end processing solution to enable companies with instant sourcing and identification.
ABJ’s Proprietary Technology
- The ABJ WindVue© system utilises the fact that the internal structure of a wind turbine blade heats and cools at different rates. By measuring these small differences using a highly sophisticated, specially calibrated infrared camera on our special drones, we can gather this information rapidly, needing the turbine to be stopped for only minutes instead of hours.
- Inspect up to 15 cm deep into a wind turbine blade
- Identify issues as small as 4 mm
- Using thermal energy from wind friction to allow for high resolution thermography
- Visualizing layers of lamination and beam structure inside the wind turbine blade for in-depth inspection of blade structure
- With our proprietary drone technology we have the capability to look for bad bonding, delamination, lightning strikes, damages, and structural defects.
- A unique and proven technology for enhanced wind turbine inspections for onshore and offshore wind farms
ABJ’s Proprietary Drone
- A Sophisticated, Weatherproof Drone to Inspect the Wind Turbines
- The drone carries a complex package of instruments including an ultra-high resolution, 60MB camera and a bespoke, highly specialised infrared camera.
- The drone used for inspection has triple modular redundancy and diagnostic algorithms that match the sensor data of the three GNSS units.
- Additional analytical redundancies result in a total of six reliable redundancy units.
- The additional use of a D-RTK-GNSS system makes the drone immune to magnetic interference and enables the drone to be accurate to the nearest centimetre.
- The drone can be controlled and landed even with a failure of up to two propellers or even 2 batteries.
- Capable to operate in high wind speed conditions (15 m/s to 20m/s)
- Automation (including distance tracking and collision avoidance)
- Higher safety and reliability in the field (rain-proof, modular, upgradable)
ABJ RFID Asset Management
We upload the gathered data to our central processing facilities where the information is monitored, manipulated and interpreted. The result is a detailed, easy to understand report that includes an x-ray like image of the blade.
- Decrease data collection time
- Reduce or eliminate human data entry errors Improve asset inventory quality
- Diminish cycle time
- Reduce repeated site visits
- Improve accuracy of assets
- Customizable API with 98 % suitability with established CRM or depository
This includes assets in warehouses, picked up by contractors, in technicians’ trucks, deployed at sites, decommissioned, identify assets for resale and reduce capital assets